By Richard Whatmore, Brian Young
A better half to highbrow History offers an in-depth survey of the perform of highbrow background as a self-discipline. 40 newly-commissioned chapters exhibit top worldwide examine with wide assurance of each element of highbrow background because it is presently practiced.
- Presents an in-depth survey of modern study and perform of highbrow history
- Written in a transparent and obtainable demeanour, designed for a global audience
- Surveys a few of the methodologies that experience arisen and the most historiographical debates that drawback highbrow historians
- Pays particular awareness to modern controversies, supplying readers with the most up-tp-date review of the field
- Demonstrates the ways that highbrow historians have contributed to the heritage of technological know-how and medication, literary stories, artwork background and the historical past of political thought
Named Outstanding educational identify of 2016 via Choice Magazine, a e-book of the yank Library organization
Read or Download A companion to intellectual history PDF
Best historiography books
"History is the model of earlier occasions that individuals have determined to agree upon," acknowledged Napoleon. but the particular writing of heritage, specifically historical historical past, is a convention that regularly activates extra discord than assent. In his new textbook, Luke Pitcher goals to beat the hostility which exists among rival camps of their research of classical historiography.
French Historians 1900-2000: the recent historic Writing in Twentieth-Century France examines the lives and writings of forty of France’s nice twentieth-century historians. Blends biography with serious research of significant works, putting the paintings of the French historians within the context in their lifestyles tales contains contributions from over 30 overseas students offers English-speaking readers with a brand new perception into the major French historians of the final century content material: bankruptcy 1 Maurice Agulhon (1926–) (pages 1–10): Peter McPheeChapter 2 Philippe Aries (1914–1984) (pages 11–22): Patrick H.
The Achaemenid Empire, based through Cyrus the good within the sixth century, used to be at its peak the most important empire the area had but noticeable, stretching throughout Asia, the center East and North Africa. simply because this primary Persian Empire fought a sequence of wars opposed to the traditional Greek city-states, it has frequently been forged against the Hellenistic cultures of the interval.
- The Origin and Goal of History
- Historical Reenactment: From Realism to the Affective Turn
- Historiography in the Twentieth Century: From Scientific Objectivity to the Postmodern Challenge
- The Philosophy of History
- The Myth of Seneca Falls: Memory and the Women's Suffrage Movement, 1848-1898
Extra resources for A companion to intellectual history
344–67). It is notable that many such champions of British empiricism over continental theorising were themselves refugees and émigrés from mainland Europe: this was true both of Elton and of Namier. To these men, Britain was free of political extremism precisely because its political culture was supposedly inimical to theorising. This was what made its political culture singularly attractive to them. Critical of such conservative constitutional history as Skinner and his colleagues in Cambridge were, they were (and are) not exactly polar opposites of their opponents: after all, both groups of scholars were (and are) preoccupied by the historical study of politics, whether practical and/or theoretical in experience and nature.
Experience of the war mattered to Forbes and to Trevor‐Roper in their assessments of Historismus (as it did in his different way to Hobsbawm), and their own accounts of its fortunes are integral to the story of its English post‐war reception.
Implicit in all of this is politics, and not merely the constitutional politics cherished by British historians, but a deeper, all‐pervasive cultural politics, the politics that shapes and colours so much of a society and its values. This is peculiarly important in assessing the centrality of historicism in German historiography. Allied with politics in this dimension is religion, a fundamental element in the constitution of historicism, as many scholars have made clear, and most recently and extensively by Frederick C.
A companion to intellectual history by Richard Whatmore, Brian Young